Home base is Austin Texas
Deanna has worked in end-of-life care environments since 2000 and presently works at a local hospice as a Crisis Care/After Hours RN. Below is some professional and personal information.
- Director of Education, Lone Star Academy of Allied Health, since Jan 2010
- Founder, Quality of Life Care, since 2006
- Palliative Consultant and advocate for families
- End-of-life medical guide and midwife to the dying www.aGentleGuide.com¬†
- Certified Hospice and Palliative Nurse*
- Trained Mediator
- Certified Celebrant
- Event Co-Coordinator for the 2008 2nd annual Austin Texas Celebration of World Hospice and Palliative Care Day. The World Event¬†
- Organizer for the 1st annual 2007 Austin Texas Celebration of World Hospice and Palliative Care Day. NHPCO interview
TexasNew MexicoHospice Organization; National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization; Hospice and Palliative Nurse Association, Oncology Nurses Society
- Blogger, since January 2007
- Workshop facilitator, presenter and speaker
It became clear in my second semester of nursing school that my work would be with those of us who are dying. Within 3 months of receiving my RN license, I was training at a local hospice.
Throughout the last several years I have worked in oncology, long term acute care and skilled nursing facilities as well, but mostly within hospice in various roles. In each setting, what it taught me was there was needless suffering going on and I wanted to be part of changing that.
After the death of my mother, June 15, 2005, I decided to start my own practice as a midwife to the dying and to their families. As I went to various places to let people know I was available for this, people had so many questions on how to deal with life-limiting illness in general. My talks began to be about palliative care. One thing led to another and I find myself starting a resource based website.
My main love in service is as a guide to families as they walk those last steps with their loved one who is dying. Guidance and comfort is what I strive to bring to a family. Write me anytime regarding topics in which you’d like me to write or with an article you’d like me to post.
Peace to you and thanks for stopping by!